College campuses may be a place of learning, but they’re also a place of crime and danger, especially at night. According to the National Center for Education Statistics, in 2014, there were 27,000 criminal incidents against persons and property on campus at public and private 2-year and 4-year postsecondary institutions that were reported to police and security agencies. Unfortunately, crime and assault rates haven’t changed much since then, and that may be in large part due to the fact that college campuses are tough to secure.
With multiple buildings, and even more floors within those buildings, providing video surveillance for a college campus is comparable to providing surveillance for a small city. Because of this, security camera installation teams have struggled to provide the configuration that campuses need to ensure the ongoing safety of students, staff and each school’s property. Fortunately, every problem has a solution—even the tough ones.
When you work with a surveillance company like Mammoth Security, you get experience, quality and unlimited help. Our team understands what it takes to secure large areas, and we are no stranger to securing small towns. If you’re looking to equip your college campus with cameras and other surveillance technology so that you can keep students, faculty and property safe, let our team guide you towards the best way to outfit your school.
Factors to Consider When Outfitting a College With a Complete Security System
Every school is different, and each comes with its own unique set of problems and challenges. To help you better determine what type of equipment you need and where, we’ve put together this list of questions for you to think over:
- What is your campus crime rate?
- Is vandalism a major concern?
- Are there trouble areas that you’ve noticed, such as in parking lots or on poorly lit paths?
- What types of crimes are the most prevalent?
- What types of security systems are currently in place, if any?
- Does your school employ a security guard or several who patrol the campus at night?
Your answers to these questions can help the professionals determine the comprehensiveness of the system you need.
Best Practices for University Surveillance Systems
As with all projects, there are some best practices that our New Haven CT security cameras installation team adheres to. When we take on large projects, we like to work with the following best practices in mind:
- Equip parking lots with adequate surveillance.
- Place cameras near all entrances and exits to school buildings.
- Keep all sports facilities well secured.
- Have someone continuously monitoring hallways, lobbies and walking paths.
- Equip residence halls with security equipment.
- Mount cameras in high risk areas such as poorly lit paths, parking garages and other places where individuals may find themselves alone and defenseless.
- Install cameras in campus stores, offices and other places where money is exchanged.
Why You Should Invest in Campus Security
Whether or not you should equip your campus with a surveillance system shouldn’t even be a question. With the right team on your side, you can easily overcome the challenges posed by the large area and increase your school’s overall security. However, if you’re still wondering if it’s worth the time and monetary investment, the answer is a resounding yes and here’s why:
- A surveillance system can help you maintain secure facilities.
- More secure facilities mean increased safety for students.
- Security cameras serve to help deter crime.
- They are also effective in preventing vandalism.
- Security cameras can help you monitor parking lots and parking garages.
- Security footage can aid in investigations.
- Security footage can help improve university policies and procedures.
- With the right team, installation is fairly simple and requires little time on your end.
- You can access footage from anywhere with an internet connection, at any time.
You have a duty to your students and faculty members to keep them safe. Mammoth Security can help you uphold that duty by installing a comprehensive system complete with state-of-the-art equipment and 24/7 assistance. If you’re ready to secure your university today, give our company a call – (860) 615-4028.